top of page

THE FARMSTEAD IN FARMSTEAD PARK

History

 

Since William Penn deeded ownership to Dr. Nicholas More in the 1680s, this property and the development of this Farmstead had essentially four family dynasties spanning over three centuries of American history: the Dr. More Family, the Reidenbach Family, the Kimble Family, and the Malloy Family.

Chain of Title

 

A chain of title search was performed in 2012 at the request of Farmstead Alliance.

 

The Farmstead is currently owned by Upper Moreland Township and is part of the township’s park system, known as Farmstead Park. It consists of 10 acres of land and it is located at 2668 Byberry Road, Hatboro, PA. 19040. Contained within the 10 acres are four stone structures, those being a Farmhouse, Barn, Carriage House, and Spring House.

These structures remain one of the few, nearly complete, 18th century farmsteads in the area, and may well be the last parcel of land in the original twenty-five square miles of the original Manor of Moreland to be held by members of the Dr. Nicholas More family.

 
The Four Longest Family-owned Tenures:

 

  1. 1684-1749 More/Keach/Harrison Family (65 years)

  2. 1754-1806 Reidenbach/Harner Family (52 years)

  3. 1806-1930 Kimble/Tyson/Gregg Family (124 years)

  4. 1944-2002 Malloy Family (58 years)

 

Period (in years) Owner(s)

 

2002 - Present: Upper Moreland Township

1982 - 2002: William H Malloy, Jr. and Ruth Ann Malloy

1944 - 1982: William H Malloy, Sr and Ethel Malloy

1944 - 1944: John R Wilkie and F. Lucile Wilkie (owned for one day)

1933 - 1944: Louie Lennig Rowland

1930 - 1933: Corbit Lovering and Ida Rowland Lovering

1903 - 1930: Thompson Gregg and Elgerda P Sexton/Murray

1806 - 1903: Richard Kimbel Family (seven deeds associated with this period)

1754 - 1806: Michael Rhiderpoak (Reidenbach), John Harner, and others

Additional deed research and verification is needed to complete the following ownership, though much of what is below is well documented in Charles Harper Smith's publications on his research into land tenure in Hatboro and vicinity from the 1930s. 

1749 - 1754: Joshua Potts

1747 - 1749: Joseph Eaton

1739 - 1747: John Harrison (grandson of Mary Keach/great-grandson of Dr. More)

1689 - 1739: Mary Keach, Née More (daughter of Dr. Nicholas More)

1682 - 1689: Dr. Nicholas More

1682 - William Penn, Proprietor

The buildings ... 

IMG_5756.jpeg
Spring House

In the summer of 2023, the cottage was removed to reveal the original springhouse walls. We are raising funds to reconstruct this building. Stay tuned for updates on this project. 

Farmhouse

Built in two phases, the Farmhouse consists of an English period and German period construction. It is believed that a connected workhouse was attached to the southern elevation during the German period of ownership. 

Carriage House

This 18th century era  "garage" has rough-hewn timbers that are still visible and served to shelter carriages and riding chairs from the early days of our country. 

Barn

Incredible interior wood joinery, and wedding marks are exhibited in this hybrid Pennsylvania Dutch style bank barn. It is an exceptional example of early German influence in architecture. A new roof was installed to help protect the interiors.  

bottom of page